Radifying Server Advertising Rules

General consensus  

8 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. General consensus

• Agree
    • Disagree (Feedback Below)

Hi all,

With the popularity of Cooldown and this section slowly increasing, I have some concerns about the lack of guidelines in place for ensuring our advertisement section remains clean and player-focused. This thread serves as a draft for outlining advertising rules, and I'd love to hear your feedback / suggestions. Most of my points are focused on security and player friendliness, and some are just guidelines.

1. No shop or gambling focused servers
  2. Outgoing links from Cooldown must be secured over HTTPS
  3. Outgoing links from Cooldown must contain a linkback to help the community find other servers which meet these standards
  4. Outgoing links must run on up-to-date hosting software no older than 2 years ago
  5. Player passwords should be hashed before being stored in the database, i.e. no plaintext passwords
  6. Player account recovery should validate identity, whether through security codes or emailed validation codes/links
  7. Server owners must advertise their servers, and should not post more than 1 advertisement per 6 months across all servers
  8. Servers should not run on Hamachi or similar dynamic server IP services which require installing network clients
  9. Please use thread tags rather than jamming all of your server features into the title of the thread

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Spirited

33 minutes ago, Snow said:

How will you be verifying 5?

It's not necessarily always going to be verifiable, though it can be pretty easy to spot if they're running just another copy server.
In any case: if found to be an issue, it should definitely be removed from our board.

Btw, I plan to close this poll this tomorrow (1 full week after being opened).

Alrighty. It's been more than a week and this has definitely passed. I'm glad to see this got the backing of members here. If anyone has any further concerns, they can follow up with me privately. The next steps are to rectify some existing advertisements and follow up with those owners. Thanks.