Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join our board

Sign in to follow this  
Omicron

[Nice Read] .NET Microservices. Architecture for Containerized .NET Applications

A nice read about microservices. Even though they mention .NET a lot, the content is still pretty relevant with other languages. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/microservices-architecture/index

Also, I uploaded the e-book as attachment as I am not sure about file storage on the server, I will provide you guys with a direct link to the download. (Which is also available on the overview page)

[Attachment].NET Microservices - Architecture for Containerized .NET Applications.pdf

Edited by Omicron
  • Like 1

Funny that you bring up microservices using Microsoft's documents. I got the opportunity to spend last Wednesday at Microsoft to meet up with some Azure solution architects. We talked a lot about new Azure offerings and how they might benefit the company I work for, but also what Microsoft is trying to do in terms of cloud services. Microservice architectures using deployment services like Kubernetes or Service Fabric are fantastic, and offer a lot of promise, but don't apply to many use cases. The challenge of making multiple, independent microservices falls through to every layer of application development. If you can't separate your database into multiple for each microservice, that's a foreseeable issue. If you can't separate concerns without dependencies on each microservice, that's a problem. In a lot of the cases we went over, microservice architectures really only shine for a select few. Microsoft's big push right now is in providing a similar approach on much smaller scale using event driven / data driven micro-programs. Like, being able to write a Twitter bot that uses sentiment analysis and emails you when very negative, high profile tweets about your company go out using zero lines of code (Microsoft Logic Apps / Flow). Having that then interface with a serverless Azure Function that performs a small bit of work, and dumping large amounts of data into Cosmos DB that indexes everything and is built for multi-write and multi-read operations across multiple services. Having WebJobs that can fire when something's added to a queue or blob storage container (which replaces worker roles using WCF). Everything they do now seems to be more and more architected towards cloud solutions, rather than just cloud offerings for legacy/monolithic technologies. It's extremely interesting to see how they've progressed just this year. I know the company I'm currently working for wants to use microservices, and I'm totally for it. I finally feel like Microsoft is starting to find some ground again.

PS: As just a side note, I might have tried making a microservice architecture for Conquer Online. Although very interesting in having JSON-RPC via API like interfaces to each microservice, and a TCP gateway for handling connections, I didn't really see much of a benefit for Conquer Online. That being said, anything for Conquer Online beyond a two server system is a bit overkill. Fun to try though, especially when things can be so easily separated to handle different requests. Used Cosmos DB in the background, so I didn't bother separating data into individual databases. Doesn't matter too much when Chimera is essentially a microservice architecture already, just less granular without the naming services, routing, and service redundancy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spirited said:

Funny that you bring up microservices using Microsoft's documents. I got the opportunity to spend last Wednesday at Microsoft to meet up with some Azure solution architects. We talked a lot about new Azure offerings and how they might benefit the company I work for, but also what Microsoft is trying to do in terms of cloud services. Microservice architectures using deployment services like Kubernetes or Service Fabric are fantastic, and offer a lot of promise, but don't apply to many use cases. The challenge of making multiple, independent microservices falls through to every layer of application development. If you can't separate your database into multiple for each microservice, that's a foreseeable issue. If you can't separate concerns without dependencies on each microservice, that's a problem. In a lot of the cases we went over, microservice architectures really only shine for a select few. Microsoft's big push right now is in providing a similar approach on much smaller scale using event driven / data driven micro-programs. Like, being able to write a Twitter bot that uses sentiment analysis and emails you when very negative, high profile tweets about your company go out using zero lines of code (Microsoft Logic Apps / Flow). Having that then interface with a serverless Azure Function that performs a small bit of work, and dumping large amounts of data into Cosmos DB that indexes everything and is built for multi-write and multi-read operations across multiple services. Having WebJobs that can fire when something's added to a queue or blob storage container (which replaces worker roles using WCF). Everything they do now seems to be more and more architected towards cloud solutions, rather than just cloud offerings for legacy/monolithic technologies. It's extremely interesting to see how they've progressed just this year. I know the company I'm currently working for wants to use microservices, and I'm totally for it. I finally feel like Microsoft is starting to find some ground again.

PS: As just a side note, I might have tried making a microservice architecture for Conquer Online. Although very interesting in having JSON-RPC via API like interfaces to each microservice, and a TCP gateway for handling connections, I didn't really see much of a benefit for Conquer Online. That being said, anything for Conquer Online beyond a two server system is a bit overkill. Fun to try though, especially when things can be so easily separated to handle different requests. Used Cosmos DB in the background, so I didn't bother separating data into individual databases. Doesn't matter too much when Chimera is essentially a microservice architecture already, just less granular without the naming services, routing, and service redundancy.

What I have noticed that if you want to properly implement microservices, you shouldn't do it with a small project as it only adds complexity. 

Talking about complexity, I believe the biggest complexity is the communication between services.