Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join our board

Sign in to follow this  
Spirited

Who do you use for version control / project hosting?

I've been going between a lot of different version control / project hosting websites. I like Bitbucket, but their mobile interface is just flat out broken. Gitlab is very nice, but it's getting cluttered. Github is lovely, but since they canceled my university account, I can no longer host private projects. So, I'm really curious, what do people here use, and why do you use that host? Thanks!

I personally jumped over from bitbucket to gitlab, but that is because of their free to use deployment :) 

was easy to set up, and since im webdeveloper it is the way to deploy projects fast :) 

• Like 1

I am still using Github for my projects as I still have Github student. Once it runs out I will most likely host my private projects on Gitlab and my public projects on Github. Github is simply known for its open-source projects. 

• Like 1

I used BitBucket for a long time, but switched about 1 year ago to GitLab due to their pipeline support. It is way easier to setup a CI/CD with GitLab. The platform is sometimes buggy, but overall functional. Maybe one day I'll switch back to BitBucket, but their pipeline is way to much restrictive (they started too late to work on it, and you cannot have local runners yet).

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Gitlab is my top choice right now, and the free CI/CD deployment is very nice... I forgot about how I used that for Comet. Gitlab it is! 

• Like 1

I have use most the the big name source control companies between personal projects. I use bitbucket daily for work, they have a good platform if you use all the features together (jira, CI/CD, PRs, etc). That alone can get pretty expensive quickly for a company. At my work we use bitbucket for source control and gitlab for issue tracking. I want to unify on gitlab so that we can have commits and PRs that will close issues, but I can't make those calls. Personally I have been using gitlab to do my personal projects that I want to keep private. I like them for their CI/CD platform. As @Omicron stated, github is my goto for anything I would like to be public. I feel like this is just part of the industry. The github actions will likely push things over for me on private repos. Github can be rather expensive for private repos if you do not have a student pack. I will see what changes once I lose that. 

@bauss I have used a on-prem hosted beanstalk solution. I might have been using a old version, but man did I hate it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smallxmac said:

I have use most the the big name source control companies between personal projects. I use bitbucket daily for work, they have a good platform if you use all the features together (jira, CI/CD, PRs, etc). That alone can get pretty expensive quickly for a company. At my work we use bitbucket for source control and gitlab for issue tracking. I want to unify on gitlab so that we can have commits and PRs that will close issues, but I can't make those calls. Personally I have been using gitlab to do my personal projects that I want to keep private. I like them for their CI/CD platform. As @Omicron stated, github is my goto for anything I would like to be public. I feel like this is just part of the industry. The github actions will likely push things over for me on private repos. Github can be rather expensive for private repos if you do not have a student pack. I will see what changes once I lose that. 

@bauss I have used a on-prem hosted beanstalk solution. I might have been using a old version, but man did I hate it. 

Yeah I don't really like it either, it's more of a legacy thing because of tons of old svn projects hosted there.

I am really not a fan of working with SVN in general. More so when I have to collab and the locks just get in the way.

The main reason why I don't really want to use Github is because I can't have private repos for free anymore. They cut my student account when Microsoft came in. Github is definitely better in terms of industry work, but for personal things, I rather go with something that'll work better. Gitlab sounds like that service. 

4 hours ago, Omicron said:

Rip, me.

Edit: I'm just going to continue using GitLab. The interface is much nicer for presenting code to interviewers. It shows all of my affiliations, high level projects, scripts, etc. all from the profile page. And clean integration for Kubernetes for deployment and docker images for CI/CD is super nice. Sorry GitHub, but I don't think I'll be brought back unless they make some massive changes.

I pretty much solely use GitHub. I used to use Team Foundation Services quite frequently, but expanding my projects to the public, I felt GitHub was perfect for.

2 hours ago, Reiko said:

I pretty much solely use GitHub. I used to use Team Foundation Services quite frequently, but expanding my projects to the public, I felt GitHub was perfect for.

I tried using Microsoft's new DevOps service, since I get it for free through my work, but eh. Once GitLab introduces multiple files for snippets (which they already have a commit ready for / has been merged into the main branch), then I'll be happy. So far, GitLab has been a lot of fun for me. I enjoyed having Comet hosted there and having that automated build fire off for unit testing on checkin. It'll be even cooler once I get Chimera working with automated deploys and rolling server updates. Ahhh! It's going to be siicckk!

• Like 1

Their is so much cool stuff to do once you are able to get a powerful CI/CD pipeline. The first time I was able to have a couple of docker containers run under a load balance for uninterpreted updates was amazing. It was a very simple example, but cool as hell. I really am looking forward to github actions, not sure when it would be coming out, but github is the place for OSS atm.