Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join our board

Sign in to follow this  
W1cked

Hello world

Hey everyone,

I have made a few posts already but I figured I would give an introduction as well.

I'm currently in school for Computer Science, and going to hopefully continue until I get my masters in Data Analytics. I'm older than most college students as I chose to serve in the military before going. I've played Conquer for a long time, the earliest that I can remember is that CP's didn't exist, and top + was 8 I believe.

I primarily use Go, although I have used C# but mostly just using the Unity library. I'm currently working on a Go 5017 source, but the scope for this is a lot smaller than Spirited's Chimera project.

So that's pretty much it, hope to see you all around!

• Like 1

Welcome to the community, very cool. Another Go programmer! Whoo-hoo! Please don't look at my older Go code, it's really embarrassing. 😅 Hope you stick around with us. Would be cool to see more from you. I see a lot of really bright engineers come from the military, so I'm sure you'll do well. Word of advice though, Data Analytics is a very narrow field of study. If you take the general approach or take more classes that specialize in algorithms, machine learning, and data extraction, then you'll be right on track. Good luck with your studies.

• Like 1

Hey, W1cked! Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see that there's still some interested members of the development community. 

• Like 1

@Spirited Don't worry, my Go code can't be much better. I think we're all pretty critical of ourselves when we look back. I've never looked at my code from 6 months prior and thought "Wow, what a good job." I'm not really sure why I want a Data Analytics, Finance is really where I would like to apply my software skills. Like trading platforms, brokers, or banks. 

@Omicron @Twelve I'm pretty interested in it, always have been. I've just now been able to find time to actually do something. I hope to have something released soon in 5017 patch. I'm hoping to maybe fix some potential unclean (or what I view as unclean) habits in some sources. My first order of business, in my 5017 server I scraped the idea of switch statements for packet handling. I've created a router, something like a simple http router if you have ever used Go.

So instead of having abnormally large switch statements for handling packets, at initialization you specify what "process" goes to the uint16. 

c.Router.Add(NewRoute().Name(packets.MsgAccountType).Process(MsgAccountProcess))

In my opinion, this makes the code base far more manageable and readable. 

The router uses a map[uint16]*Route, and the Route contains some information including what process to run for that packet. Since it uses a map, finding the Route happens in constant time (which isn't TOO big of a deal, but it still helps.) I'm hoping to also use something like this for handling some sub actions of packets, like MsgAction.